I’d give this recipe a five star rating simply because it is so elevated health wise! Try to get the fresh Shiitake mushroom. Mushrooms are so nutritious and upload all kinds of good things!
Hot & Sour Shiitake Soup Ingredients. But I would double up for maybe four persons. Or for that matter three times in a big pot and keep leftovers! Great lunch snack! Remember mushrooms are good for the brain!
- 4 cups (1 quart) vegetable stock
- Large knob of ginger, finely minced or grated
- 1 leek, finely chopped (reserve tough green part for another use)
- 1 large piece of lemongrass, finely sliced
- 10 shiitake mushrooms (fresh or dried)
- 1 scoop Organixx collagen powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons organic tamari
- 1 tablespoon raw local honey
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 handful basil, chopped, about ¼ cup loosely packed.
- In large saucepan over medium heat bring stock to a boil, then add grated ginger, leek, and lemongrass. If using dried shiitake mushrooms, add them now. Turn down heat and let mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add collagen powder, tamari, honey, and lemon juice; simmer for another 3-5 minutes. Adjust seasonings. If using fresh shiitake mushrooms, add them now, along with tomatoes and basil.
- Return soup to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. If using dried mushrooms, remove mushrooms from soup, slice up the tender parts and return them to soup, and discard the tough stalks. Serve hot.
Great tips in YouTube such as scraping the ginger with the edge of a spoon. I always waste so much cutting! Also the way she rolls the basil up tightly and then chops it!
The tomatoes are a lectin. Part of the deadly nightshade group. But personally believe that some lectins are good for you unless it is obviously otherwise! As Friedrich Nietzsche once said in the 19th Century:
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
The whole idea of Hormesis!